Jonah Hill Is Down to Make 'Superbad 2' in About 40 Years
Published: January 14, 2022
As originally published by Kaelen Bell on Exclaim!
If you've been waiting around with bated breath for news of a Superbad
sequel, you may wanna go ahead and invest in an oxygen tank — in a new interview, Jonah Hill
revealed that he's down for the idea, as long as it's made when he's 80 years old.
Speaking with W Magazine
, Hill discussed the possibility of following up the instant classic 2007 comedy, but he has some particular ideas about what it should look like.
"I haven't pitched this to anybody. What I want to do is when we're like 80, do a Superbad 2
," Hill said. "Like, 'old-folks-home Superbad
.' Our spouses die, and we're single again. That's what I want Superbad 2
to be, and that's the only way I would ever make it."
It's obviously unlikely that that'll ever happen — who knows where any of us will be in 80 years at this rate — but it's made even more unlikely by the sentiments of his fellow Superbad
, who co-wrote and starred in Superbad
, told LADBible
in 2020 that the film is the one in his catalogue that he would "100% probably never touch" in terms of sequels or reboots.
"Honestly, I don't think it requires improvement or anything to be built upon it," Rogen said. "I'm unbelievably proud of it. It really holds up — people still watch it, high school kids come up to me telling me that they watched it for the first time and how they loved it. It's worked its way into being viewed as one of the better high school movies that's out there. I'm so terrified of subtracting from it in any way with a bad sequel or spinoff that I'd never do it. I have so few actual good accomplishments that I'm horrified to fuck with the ones I have."
Christopher Mintz-Plasse — who played McLovin — said last year
that "if there was a way to do it, [a female version] would be the way, for sure." However, he added, "I've heard from some of the people who made the first one, and I don't think they want to touch it."